TODAY I ANNOUNCE MY RETIREMENT, AFTER 34 WONDERFUL AND MEMORABLE YEARS I AM CLOSING THE STUDIO AND RETIRING. YES, it was pushed up a bit because of COVID, but it is time. My daughter, DEVIN ANNE is graduating in January, from the Institute of Art and Design from New England College, with her Masters in Fine Art. My husband, PAUL recently turned 65 so it is time.
I have been so very blessed to have been able to have MY DREAM COME TRUE, (the theme of my first recital), of owning my own studio for 34 years…WOW…where did the time go. I have so many fabulous memories IN the Studio and Onstage under the lights. But as an added bonus, many of my students have kept me in their lives, and I have had the pleasure of being included in their Graduation parties, Bridal Showers, Weddings and even some Baby showers. I have had numerous 2ND GENERATION DANCERS over the past years, which is extremely special to me. I have had the pleasure to have met and become friends with so many thoughtful, wonderful and caring PARENTS. And of course, been so proud to have been the Dance Teacher for their amazing and talented children and young adults. So, THANK YOU NORFOLK and the surrounding towns for allowing me to teach your children.
When I decided to start this journey, being a dancer myself, I knew that the most important part of being in the performing arts is the PERFORMANCE. (Obviously you have to put in all the necessary training and barre work and practice time, but you need to hear the roar of the crowd and smell the grease paint!) And there are so many fantastic opportunities out there for “MY” Dancers and I was extremely proud of getting “MY” dancers out there. I always use the analogy that when you play a sport, when you’re ready to take it up a notch, you join the travel team, well in DANCE you join the competition/performance team. And as I was writing this, I was looking back at the opportunities that “MY” students got to take part in and if you would allow me here are just a few highlights….
- 4 Members performed in the MACY’S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE;
- 3 teams of Dancers performed pregame, 3 separate years at THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS GAME;
- 5 teams of Dancers performed pregame, 5 separate year at THE BOSTON CELTICS;
- 2 teams of Dancers performed pregame, 2 separate years at THE BOSTON RED SOXS;
- 1 team of Dancers performed half time at the PROVIDENCE BRUINS
- 4 teams of Dancers auditioned and were accepted to perform throughout the MAGIC KINGDOM, EPCOT AND DOWNTOWN DISNEY AND DISNEY SPRINGS IN DISNEY WORLD, ORLANDO, FLORIDA;
- 2 teams of Dancers performed on THE NORWEGIAN MAJESTY CRUISE LINE, on 2 separate years; and then performed in ST GEORGES’ and HAMILTON BERMUDA
- 1 team of Dancers performed on THE ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE LINE ; and then performed on the ISLAND OF FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
- 1 team of Dancers took classes with the DISNEY DANCERS ON THE DISNEY CRUISE LINE; and then performed on the ISLAND OF FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
- 1 team of Dancers took classes with the UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII DANCE TEAM and then performed on 2 separate nights while in HAWAII;
- 1 team of Dancers performed in HERSHEY PARK;
- 1 team of Dancers performed in MONTREAL, CANADA;
- 1 team of Dancers performed at the WILDWOOD at the NEW JERSEY SHORE;
- 1 team of Dancers performed at the Half-time of the BOSTON COLLEGE ‘EAGLES’ FOOTBALL GAME;
- OVERALL 20 different teams competed in 20 STATES throughout the USA; NEW ENGLAND, TO NEVADA, CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA, VIRGINIA BEACH TO NEW YORK CITY, MARYLAND TO SOUTH CAROLINA, HAWAII TO DELAWARE and a few in between…
- Not to forget about our local performances at NORFOLK DAY (OLD TYMERS DAY), Millis Day, Medway Day, Wrentham Day, performances at the Walpole Mall, and we performed at the Wrentham State School for many years.
I leave you with this dance quote. “Her DREAM becomes reality, her PASSION is ignited, her FUTURE is bright; DANCE is about more than the steps, it’s about LIFE lessons.”
For my Second Act…I will be continuing as Director of Platinum Performing Arts Competition, along with my business partner and good friend Janine as we expand in the coming years. I got bitten by that dance bug 60 years ago so it will be hard to keep me off stage!!!
Since 1986 our goal has been providing classroom instruction geared towards developing technique, enriching creativity and cultivation artistic expression. These accomplishments are demonstrated in our annual, year end performance opportunity at the Recital. The Studio has also taken an active part in various community events and functions. The studio is dedicated to the artistic development of its students. With proper instruction, discipline and practice, enjoyment of AND appreciation for the art of dance will be achieved and will contribute to the well-rounded education each of children deserves. Our studio provides an excellent dance education in a professional and nurturing environment. At the Kathy Ryan Dance Studio, the focus is to teach the students how to work hard and strive in their efforts for improvement while showing self-discipline and displaying respect for others. With the positive reinforcement of the dance instructors, they develop their self-esteem and learn lessons in goal-setting, time management, and focusing. All of these can be applied to their daily life.
These accomplishments are demonstrated in our annual, year-end performance opportunity at the Recital. Participation in the Recital is optional, however, 99.9% of the Studio’s students take part. For the student, the Recital is the culmination of the year’s preparation and excitement, where she not only performs the appropriate choreography, but also experiences the excitement of costumes, lights, music, and AN AUDIENCE! Your decision to participate in the Recital must be made by December when final payment is due on costumes.
The Studio has also taken an active part in various community functions. Although most of the performing opportunities are limited to the A Step Above Dancers, there are also events like our annual Easter Seals Hop-N-ing where we raise money for children with disabilities and the Toy Drive we sponsor at Christmas. The Studio has also been an active supporter of the Norfolk Summer Reading Program, the Norfolk Girl Scouts, NOVA, Norfolk Child Safety Program, Norfolk Police Association, KPRHS History Day Fund, KPRHS Music Association, Pioneer Engine Company of Wrentham, Millis Pride Day, Norfolk Garden Club, Franklin Child Safety Program, American Cancer Society Daffodil Day, the Norfolk Federated Church Harvest Festival, Norfolk Old Tyme Day, and the Town of Norfolk 125th Celebration. Kathy has choreographed her students performing a pre-game show for the New England Patriots featuring the Christmas Seal Kids. Students from KRDS have performed half-time shows for both the New England Patriots and Boston Celtics called “Be Fit to Breathe” to raise money for the Norfolk County Lung Association. Kathy's students have recently performed at the TD Banknorth pre-game of the World Champion Boston Celtics for that last few years, as well as the World Champion Red Sox game!
As an active and involved part of the local community, the Kathy Ryan Dance Studio is dedicated to the artistic development of its students. With proper instruction, discipline, and practice, enjoyment of and appreciation for the art of dance will be achieved and will contribute to the well-rounded education each of our children deserves.
Phone number: (508) 520-3623
Address: P.O. B. 648, Norfolk, MA 02056
(Located at 206 Main St Norfolk, MA)
Better Business Bureau Member Since: 2006-01-23